Author Topic: What club(s) do you support?  (Read 18083 times)

Brian Clough

• Legendary Team
  • GKO Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Coolsport.tv - free live streaming football and other sports with great English chat...join us!
What club(s) do you support?
« on: March 12, 2013, 03:52:21 AM »
I realized that no one has ever posted this topic with an open-ended question. Always it hass been a poll with just a few choices (the biggest clubs of course) or limited to a single league (EPL)...so let us know who you support!

...and please, don't tell us you are a life-long Man City, Chelsea, or PSG fan...even if you have  ::) nobody will believe you :P

Sadly, there are NO professional football clubs in my country  :( so I have had to look elsewhere for inspiration. I think I have a favorite club in most nations, but I mainly support 3 clubs:

1) Swansea City AFC...I became a member of the SC supporter's trust 15 years ago and will support the swans forever! ? Monk  ? Siggy ? Wiliams ? and a special cheers to Roberto Martinez..the man who started it all!

2) Celtic FC...my Bhoys!!! Mon the hoops!

3) FC St. Pauli...how can you not love the boys in brown? There's just something special about them...

« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 09:39:21 PM by Brian Clough »
Never sacrifice passion for glory!

Roostophe

• Professional team
    • View Profile
Re: What club(s) do you support?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 10:21:50 PM »
There's three clubs for me. Two tiny clubs, one massive club:

Aston Villa is my lifelong team. My entire family supports them. I live a few miles from Villa Park.
One of my fondest memories is watching the Villa win the League Cup in 1996.

Greenock Morton in the Scottish First Division. My second, much smaller, club. No reason other than family with this one.

Sutton Coldfield Town. Even smaller club than the second, as they're not professional. They play in England's Northern Premier League First Division South - seven divisions below the Premier League. This is my hometown club.

Sadly, there are NO professional football clubs in my country  :(

Wha-? I had you down as being from the USA. Where are you from?

Brian Clough

• Legendary Team
  • GKO Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Coolsport.tv - free live streaming football and other sports with great English chat...join us!
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 03:05:12 AM »
Wha-? I had you down as being from the USA. Where are you from?

I am from the USA. To answer your question, we should start by asking "what is a football club?"
1) it is a legal entity
2) it is the team, players, and management
3) it is the name
4) it is the place where it plays
5) it is all the other parts -fans, employees, and other community stakeholders

Now in the USA we have the franchise system. I would argue that MLS franchises are categorically different from independent clubs. Here's why:

-Lack of legal independence. Major League Soccer is technically not an association of franchises but a single business entity, though each team has an owner-operator; the team owners are actually shareholders in the league. The league, not the individual teams, contracts with the players!  MLS even followed its own playing rules until 2004, when it finally adopted FIFA rules. No.1 fail. No. 2 fail.

-No organic community. Most football clubs in Europe were formed either as works teams, or around local churches and neighborhoods. When the MLS was formed in 1993, the US had many semi-pro clubs with long histories, but instead of working with that and building organically, from the bottom up, the MLS decided build from the top down. This really hurt those clubs that had built those long histories, as many fans defected to the new MLS team. Furthermore without promotion/relegation, there is zeroNo local derbies Similar in some respects to the above reason, but I can't emphasize the importance of local derbies to the cultural life of a football club. By your selections, I take it you are a Brummie. A fair comparison to the MLS would be if FC Birmingham City  were the only pro team in your area (sorry, Aston Villa were too late and were never created lol), and the nearest competitors were two teams, one in London and the other in Newcastle. This is comparable to the distances between NY Red Bull Arena and those of the Philadelphia Union and New England Revolution, their nearest competitors.  For me it's far worse, the nearest pro team with more than 1 year of history is probably DC United, who play their home matches 700 miles from where I live. In fact, I think the nearest such team to me might in fact be located in Havana, Cuba a mere 600 miles away. Aside from one or two oddities, the only local rivalries in North America are among college and university sports teams. Sadly even that eludes me here in Georgia. Where I live there is a 92,000 capacity stadium for the University handegg (erm, American football) team. Yet the University of Georgia does not have a mens football (erm soccer) team. The nearest men's college team is almost 2 hours from me (Georgia Tech). The nearest team it plays on a regular basis is 125 miles away.

-No security. At any moment, the "decision makers" can decide to uproot a team from its locale. This is an issue currently facing DC United despite their modest fan base and history. If anything close to what happened to FC Rangers last year happened to a MLS franchise, it wouldn't rebuild, it would just relocate, probably changing its name in the process. There goes nos.  3 and 4. Furthermore, as we have seen in the WPS (Womens Professional Soccer) league, mismanagement of one team in a franchise system can literally cause the destruction of the entire league!

What really matters to me when it comes to putting my support behind a team are these things I listed above. If one's definition of a 'football club' and sense of belonging to it is so weak and flimsy as to put up with changes of location, name, company, fans and anything else that actually does define a 'football club', then said person never was a 'fan' in the first place, they were just a customer for whatever was easiest to follow at any particular point.

My mother was born in Wales  and my Father in Scotland and these days I really feel I have more in common with my comrades in Swansea, Glasgow and Hamburg than I do here. At this point I find myself living just to make money to take trips to Europe. I hope to be making the move permanently within the next few years. Maybe one day we can have a pint after an upcoming Swansea-Villa match...that is if we're both in the same league by then....
:P

The Korean Football Club

• All Star Team
    • View Profile
    • The Korean Football Club
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 09:22:37 AM »

Brian Clough

• Legendary Team
  • GKO Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 07:39:42 PM »

I don't think we should try to distinguish so much between "real" and "not real" fans, but between real clubs and franchises. Anyone who loves the beautiful game is a real fan!

...and you are probably less a "customer" than you say...would you still support the club if they decided to move it to another part of London and call themselves "the Jets"?

Roostophe

• Professional team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 01:44:30 AM »
I get you now. I had assumed 'professional' in the way that the players were all professional. (Just like what I said about Sutton Coldfield Town; the players are part-timers.)

You do of course make very good points. Everything you mentioned about 'organic' clubs and community can be directly linked to when Wimbledon FC were relocated to Milton Keynes.

You can also link it to what's happening at Cardiff City: Its Malaysian owner has changed the club's kit from blue to red, changed the club crest to include the Welsh dragon and practically strip the club of any real identity from the 'Bluebirds' they were just twelve months ago.
Lots of fans have been vocal and angry with the changes, because Cardiff have worn blue for decades and always been 'Bluebirds'. Because the identity isn't just about the name; it's also the kit colour.

Fans of clubs that have had kit colours and names for 100+ years believe those should never change. Aston Villa have always been called as such since they formed in 1874, and adopted the claret and blue colours in 1887. The name and kit is now embedded in Villa's history and the fans never want to see them change.
Some local politician one time said Aston Villa should change their name to include 'Birmingham' (e.g. Aston Villa Birmingham), this was met with much derision from the Villa fans for reasons such as identity and tradition. (Link to news article)

And to put something in perspective: Football clubs 700 miles away from me are in the Netherlands (Ajax, ADO Den Haag and Feyenoord.)

The Korean Football Club

• All Star Team
    • View Profile
    • The Korean Football Club
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 03:01:37 AM »
I get you now. I had assumed 'professional' in the way that the players were all professional. (Just like what I said about Sutton Coldfield Town; the players are part-timers.)

You do of course make very good points. Everything you mentioned about 'organic' clubs and community can be directly linked to when Wimbledon FC were relocated to Milton Keynes.

You can also link it to what's happening at Cardiff City: Its Malaysian owner has changed the club's kit from blue to red, changed the club crest to include the Welsh dragon and practically strip the club of any real identity from the 'Bluebirds' they were just twelve months ago.
Lots of fans have been vocal and angry with the changes, because Cardiff have worn blue for decades and always been 'Bluebirds'. Because the identity isn't just about the name; it's also the kit colour.

Fans of clubs that have had kit colours and names for 100+ years believe those should never change. Aston Villa have always been called as such since they formed in 1874, and adopted the claret and blue colours in 1887. The name and kit is now embedded in Villa's history and the fans never want to see them change.
Some local politician one time said Aston Villa should change their name to include 'Birmingham' (e.g. Aston Villa Birmingham), this was met with much derision from the Villa fans for reasons such as identity and tradition. (Link to news article)

And to put something in perspective: Football clubs 700 miles away from me are in the Netherlands (Ajax, ADO Den Haag and Feyenoord.)
I have read the article which was posted on BirminghamMail. I can accept the idea of name changing, which may be the difference of customer and real fan. Many clubs will change name when they have new naming sponsor or new owner.

Roostophe

• Professional team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 01:45:23 AM »
But changing the club name to a sponsor is NOT something fans of clubs will go for.

For Arsenal to have a sponsorship name at a stadium that was built only a few years ago can be accepted: They need some way to bring money in, because building a stadium as big as that is bloody expensive!

But if Arsenal decided to change their name for sponsorship reasons, the fans would hate it even if it were to bring in millions and millions to the club.

A new owner will most likely respect a club's tradition and history when they buy the club. But they might do what Red Bull did to Austria Salzburg (now called 'Red Bull Salzburg') and completely strip the club of what it was before.

However, if Arsenal decided to change their name to associate themselves with the area they're based in, for instance 'Highbury Arsenal', then it might be received better by fans. (In fact, Greenock Morton added the 'Greenock' part to the name less than 20 years ago; they were known as just 'Morton' for 120 years before then.)

Brian Clough

• Legendary Team
  • GKO Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 06:39:54 AM »
Of course, the irony is very thick here, since it is Arsenal we're discussing  :P

but then, Arsenal's 1913 move from Woolwich to Highbury was understandable in retrospect, with nearby Millwall moving into The Den just a few years earlier...and this move out of Greenwich surely also had a profound effect on the intensity that would develop in the rivalry between Millwall and West Ham. The idea of a club sandwiched in between Millwall and West Ham...it's madness!! lol

« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 05:36:46 PM by Brian Clough »

JulieWilliams

• Youth team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 07:42:29 AM »
Barcelona. They have a good team spirit and I am big fan of Messi.

Check out reliable boiler installation services.

grandgames

• Youth team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 07:47:15 AM »
Me too...i am also a big fan of messi..they rocks,,,thanx

« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 04:05:46 AM by Brian Clough »

StupidMe

• Youth team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 06:41:46 AM »
FC St. Pauli.. My lifetime favourite team.  :D

Brian Clough

• Legendary Team
  • GKO Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2013, 05:00:56 AM »
FC St. Pauli.. My lifetime favourite team.  :D

:-*  8)  :-*  8)  :-*

(click image)

armia741

• Youth team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2014, 07:08:40 AM »
This really hurt those clubs that had built those long histories, as many fans defected to the new MLS team. Furthermore without promotion/relegation, there is zero chance of these "organic" clubs from ever reaching the top tiers of USA football.

don

• Youth team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2014, 07:58:46 PM »
Aberdeen. Come on you Reds/Dons

Brian Clough

• Legendary Team
  • GKO Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2014, 06:58:59 AM »
This really hurt those clubs that had built those long histories, as many fans defected to the new MLS team. Furthermore without promotion/relegation, there is zero chance of these "organic" clubs from ever reaching the top tiers of USA football.

too true. Yet the MLS has not been able to outperform homegrown teams in Continental football
Notably, the New York Pancyprian-Freedoms have reached the US Open Cup final twice in the MLS era!
The club is also the most successful US team in CONCACAF, having reached the semi-finals in 1984. They may have even won the trophy but for complications in arranging matches with the other semifinalist. No other American team has even reached the quarterfinals in a proper competition. Three MLS teams did reach the finals in the late 90s, but these used a "host nation" format that allowed them to play without ever facing their opponents on foreign soil. :))

Barcelona. They have a good team spirit and I am big fan of Messi.

Barca were awesome back in the days when there were truly "more than a club"...too bad those days are long gone: http://supportersnotcustomers.com/2014/01/30/how-barcelona-became-just-a-club/
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 03:57:04 AM by Brian Clough »

Nidzo91

• Youth team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2015, 04:05:35 PM »
FK Loznica ,same as my club name hehe :) and ofc great HULL CITY. I support Hull since season 2002/2003 and when they played in then divison 2,now League Two,i watched almost every game they play on KFC stadium,active on their forum and hope one day i will visit KFC staidum and Kingston upon Hull :)) Go tigers,fan are proud on ur campaign in last 12 years! :))

Matthewmut

• Youth team
    • View Profile
    • Moreover ensure ngboringcomes kindofchic setof
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2015, 06:33:21 AM »

lesliehe

• Youth team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2015, 02:55:48 PM »
1,Manchester United--I have been a big fan of them since 2004, when I was 6 yrs old.
2,Shanghai Greenland Shenhua Football Club

-----Hometown club. The first match that I watched was Shenhua.
-----Called Shanghai Shenhua Football Club before 2015. Changed named for it is brought by Greenland Group.
-----One of the first professional football clubs in China.  Shanghai has 3 clubs in the Super(top) League and derbies occur often. Shenhua often wins match with fabulous goals.
-----Glorious history. Produced the first Asian Footballer of the Year in 2001. Has won a lot of titles.
-----In 2015 we have fantastic players such as Tim Cahill(Legend of Australia, he is very diligent), Demba Ba, Giovanni Moreno(who has exellent dribbling skills), Avraam Papadopoulos and Mohamed Lamine Sissoko. In addition, we used to have Nicolas Sebastien Anelka and Didier Drogba.
http://www.gokickoff.com/team_overviews.php?club_id=258938
Glory Glory Man Utd
Glory Glory lesliehe

verea

• Youth team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2022, 07:41:51 AM »
Practical Explanation ( For Example ) :- `1st of all can you tell me every single seconds detail from that time when you born ?? ( i need every seconds detail ?? that what- what you have thought and done on every single second )

can you tell me every single detail of your `1 cheapest Minute Or your whole hour, day, week, month, year or your whole life ??

if you are not able to tell me about this life then what proof do you have that you didn't forget your past ? and that you will not forget this present life in the future ?

that is Fact that Supreme Lord Krishna exists but we posses no such intelligence to understand him.
there is also next life. and i already proved you that no scientist, no politician, no so-called intelligent man in this world is able to understand this Truth. cuz they are imagining. and you cannot imagine what is god, who is god, what is after life etc.
_______
for example :Your father existed before your birth. you cannot say that before your birth your father don,t exists.

So you have to ask from mother, "Who is my father?" And if she says, "This gentleman is your father," then it is all right. It is easy.
Otherwise, if you makes research, "Who is my father?" go on searching for life; you'll never find your father.

( now maybe...maybe you will say that i will search my father from D.N.A, or i will prove it by photo's, or many other thing's which i will get from my mother and prove it that who is my Real father.{ So you have to believe the authority. who is that authority ? she is your mother. you cannot claim of any photo's, D.N.A or many other things without authority ( or ur mother ).

if you will show D.N.A, photo's, and many other proofs from other women then your mother. then what is use of those proofs ??} )

same you have to follow real authority. "Whatever You have spoken, I accept it," Then there is no difficulty. And You are accepted by Devala, Narada, Vyasa, and You are speaking Yourself, and later on, all the acaryas have accepted. Then I'll follow.
I'll have to follow great personalities. The same reason mother says, this gentleman is my father. That's all. Finish business. Where is the necessity of making research? All authorities accept Krsna, the Supreme Personality of Godhead. You accept it; then your searching after God is finished.

Why should you waste your time?
_______
all that is you need is to hear from authority ( same like mother ). and i heard this truth from authority " Srila Prabhupada " he is my spiritual master.
im not talking these all things from my own.

in this world no `1 can be Peace full. this is all along Fact.

cuz we all are suffering in this world 4 Problems which are Disease, Old age, Death, and Birth after Birth.

tell me are you really happy ?? you can,t be happy if you will ignore these 4 main problem. then still you will be Forced by Nature.

if you really want to be happy then follow these 6 Things which are No illicit s.ex, No g.ambling, No d.rugs ( No tea & coffee ), No meat-eating ( No onion & garlic's )

5th thing is whatever you eat `1st offer it to Supreme Lord Krishna. ( if you know it what is Guru parama-para then offer them food not direct Supreme Lord Krishna )

and 6th " Main Thing " is you have to Chant " hare krishna hare krishna krishna krishna hare hare hare rama hare rama rama rama hare hare ".
If your not able to follow these 4 things no illicit s.ex, no g.ambling, no d.rugs, no meat-eating then don,t worry but chanting of this holy name ( Hare Krishna Maha-Mantra ) is very-very and very important.

Chant " hare krishna hare krishna krishna krishna hare hare hare rama hare rama rama rama hare hare " and be happy.

if you still don,t believe on me then chant any other name for 5 Min's and chant this holy name for 5 Min's and you will see effect. i promise you it works And chanting at least 16 rounds ( each round of 108 beads ) of the Hare Krishna maha-mantra daily.
Here is no Question of Holy Books quotes, Personal Experiences, Faith or Belief. i accept that Sometimes Faith is also Blind. Here is already Practical explanation which already proved that every`1 else in this world is nothing more then Busy Foolish and totally idiot.
every `1 is already Blind in this world and if you will follow another Blind then you both will fall in hole. so try to follow that person who have Spiritual Eyes who can Guide you on Actual Right Path. ( my Authority & Guide is my Spiritual Master " Srila Prabhupada " )
read it complete. ( i promise only readers of this book that they { he/she } will get every single answer which they want to know about why im in this material world, who im, what will happen after this life, what is best thing which will make Human Life Perfect, and what is perfection of Human Life. ) purpose of human life is not to live like animal cuz every`1 at present time doing 4 thing which are sleeping, eating, s.ex & fear. purpose of human life is to become freed from Birth after birth, Old Age, Disease, and Death.

GregoryUnubs

• Legendary Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2023, 01:03:23 PM »
audiobookkeepercottageneteyesvisioneyesvisionsfactoringfeefilmzonesgadwallgaffertapegageboardgagrulegallductgalvanometricgangforemangangwayplatformgarbagechutegardeningleavegascauterygashbucketgasreturngatedsweepgaugemodelgaussianfiltergearpitchdiameter
geartreatinggeneralizedanalysisgeneralprovisionsgeophysicalprobegeriatricnursegetintoaflapgetthebouncehabeascorpushabituatehackedbolthackworkerhadronicannihilationhaemagglutininhailsquallhairyspherehalforderfringehalfsiblingshallofresidencehaltstatehandcodinghandportedheadhandradarhandsfreetelephone
hangonparthaphazardwindinghardalloyteethhardasironhardenedconcreteharmonicinteractionhartlaubgoosehatchholddownhaveafinetimehazardousatmosphereheadregulatorheartofgoldheatageingresistanceheatinggasheavydutymetalcuttingjacketedwalljapanesecedarjibtypecranejobabandonmentjobstressjogformationjointcapsulejointsealingmaterial
journallubricatorjuicecatcherjunctionofchannelsjusticiablehomicidejuxtapositiontwinkaposidiseasekeepagoodoffingkeepsmthinhandkentishglorykerbweightkerrrotationkeymanassurancekeyserumkickplatekillthefattedcalfkilowattsecondkingweakfishkinozoneskleinbottlekneejointknifesethouseknockonatomknowledgestate
kondoferromagnetlabeledgraphlaborracketlabourearningslabourleasinglaburnumtreelacingcourselacrimalpointlactogenicfactorlacunarycoefficientladletreatedironlaggingloadlaissezallerlambdatransitionlaminatedmateriallammasshootlamphouselancecorporallancingdielandingdoorlandmarksensorlandreformlanduseratio
languagelaboratorylargeheartlasercalibrationlaserlenslaserpulselatereventlatrinesergeantlayaboutleadcoatingleadingfirmlearningcurveleavewordmachinesensiblemagneticequatormagnetotelluricfieldmailinghousemajorconcernmammasdarlingmanagerialstaffmanipulatinghandmanualchokemedinfobooksmp3lists
nameresolutionnaphtheneseriesnarrowmouthednationalcensusnaturalfunctornavelseedneatplasternecroticcariesnegativefibrationneighbouringrightsobjectmoduleobservationballoonobstructivepatentoceanminingoctupolephononofflinesystemoffsetholderolibanumresinoidonesticketpackedspherespagingterminalpalatinebonespalmberry
papercoatingparaconvexgroupparasolmonoplaneparkingbrakepartfamilypartialmajorantquadruplewormqualityboosterquasimoneyquenchedsparkquodrecuperetrabbetledgeradialchaserradiationestimatorrailwaybridgerandomcolorationrapidgrowthrattlesnakemasterreachthroughregionreadingmagnifierrearchainrecessionconerecordedassignment
rectifiersubstationredemptionvaluereducingflangereferenceantigenregeneratedproteinreinvestmentplansafedrillingsagprofilesalestypeleasesamplingintervalsatellitehydrologyscarcecommodityscrapermatscrewingunitseawaterpumpsecondaryblocksecularclergyseismicefficiencyselectivediffusersemiasphalticfluxsemifinishmachiningspicetradespysale
stunguntacticaldiametertailstockcentertamecurvetapecorrectiontappingchucktaskreasoningtechnicalgradetelangiectaticlipomatelescopicdampertemperateclimatetemperedmeasuretenementbuildingtuchkasultramaficrockultraviolettesting