Author Topic: Friendly Tournament starting 14 August  (Read 4630 times)

Brian Clough

• Legendary Team
  • GKO Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Coolsport.tv - free live streaming football and other sports with great English chat...join us!
Friendly Tournament starting 14 August
« on: August 07, 2013, 02:58:52 PM »
I am organizing the 5th USA invitational round-robin friendly tournament. Anyone who would like to join may do so until the tournament is full.

The tournament has two groups, based on academy level, to balance the competition.

Group     Academy level           Age limitations*
B         Very Bad/Bad/Okay               U23
A         Good/Very Good/The best       U21

*Up to 2 overage players may start, a third overage player may be subbed on at 45' or later

Participation in group A will be limited to 8 teams so conflicts with national cups will be avoided. Group B may contain between 8-12 teams depending on interest and nations involved.

Tournament begins 14 August. First matches will be held on this date! Registration closes 12 August, when schedules will be posted.

If you would like to enter your team, register by posting your team name, team number, and academy quality here: http://forum.gokickoff.com/index.php?topic=15389

Teams will be accepted as they register. Managers who fail to post any of the required information may not be guaranteed a spot.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 03:54:56 PM by Brian Clough »
Never sacrifice passion for glory!

Sopelana

• Legendary Team
    • View Profile
Re: Friendly Tournament starting
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 04:33:58 PM »
Could I join on group A???.

My team: Sopelana C.F. (50354)

Thanks!!!.
Nombre del club : Sopelana C.F. (50354)

Ruta

• Legendary Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 04:45:39 PM »
Brian. What about bought players?  They don't depend on academy level. Youth from YC in the same way.
My team Ruta Best (21685)
Winner of World Cup season 5 and season 29
Winner World Club Champions Cup
  season 18

Brian Clough

• Legendary Team
  • GKO Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Coolsport.tv - free live streaming football and other sports with great English chat...join us!
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 04:12:02 AM »
Brian. What about bought players?  They don't depend on academy level. Youth from YC in the same way.

Good point Ruta, I guess academy quality is just the best available indicator for youth player quality, as most big spenders in youth camps and transfer market seem to have good or better academies. It seemed to work pretty good last year, we'll have to see how it goes this time. As a stop-gap, any team that wins the lower group will automatically be placed into the higher group if re-joining the competition in subsequent seasons.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 12:37:52 PM by Brian Clough »

blahblah

• National Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 09:30:59 AM »
I think that I may have joined in the wrong thread?

Pile of Shite 22746 Good.

Brian Clough

• Legendary Team
  • GKO Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 12:40:09 PM »
No additional spaces remain for clubs with good or better academy...

However, there are still several open spots for clubs with okay or worse academies. ;)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 03:54:46 PM by Brian Clough »

??????

• All Star Team
  • ???????????????????
    • View Profile
Re: Friendly Tournament starting 14 August
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 03:30:59 AM »
Group B

gameover (18273) Academy quality : Very good.

Drifter

• All Star Team
  • We promote the beautiful game.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 03:30:29 PM »
I agree that the level of youth academy is a good determiner of youth strength.  Even though people can buy quality youth players on the market at times, the probability of youth players being sold of any real quality is either very rare or very costly.  It is more economical for players to just invest in the youth academy.  Therefore, if they have not spent the money to improve this facility, chances are, they do not have high quality youth talent.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 03:36:57 PM by Drifter »
Hibury FC

Brian Clough

• Legendary Team
  • GKO Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 03:57:05 PM »
Group B

gameover (18273) Academy quality : Very good.

Sorry but
No additional spaces remain for clubs with good or better academy...

Please join us next season   ;)

Ruta

• Legendary Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 04:04:42 PM »
I agree that the level of youth academy is a good determiner of youth strength.  Even though people can buy quality youth players on the market at times, the probability of youth players being sold of any real quality is either very rare or very costly.  It is more economical for players to just invest in the youth academy.  Therefore, if they have not spent the money to improve this facility, chances are, they do not have high quality youth talent.
I bought two LA 10 and two LA 9. IMHO youth with LA 8 are very common nowadays. And last season was bad for me . I got LA 8 highest from best aca. So i can''t agree that level of aca tell truth about youth in team.
  season 18

Brian Clough

• Legendary Team
  • GKO Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 06:06:13 PM »
I bought two LA 10 and two LA 9. IMHO youth with LA 8 are very common nowadays. And last season was bad for me . I got LA 8 highest from best aca. So i can''t agree that level of aca tell truth about youth in team.

Sure, but you already have "the best" youth academy. You aren't weighing the transfer market against investing in your academy. Those LA 10 players probably cost a LOT of money...I see you spent over 10 million on just two players this season...were they the two LA10 players? I bet they were.
1) Few teams have that much money to spend. Those that do probably have been playing for a long time, have already upgraded their facilities (at least above okay quality), and have already assembled a good squad.
2) The decision to invest millions into youth camps or transfer market players compared with the 1.5 million academy upgrade from okay to good is a massively irrational one. Academy investments pay off indefinitely. Youth camp investments last only 2 seasons. Transfer market investments end with the player. Thus, returns from academy investments are MUCH GREATER than either youth camp or transfer market.

Another manager who is not in your privileged position (best academy, high club rating, very good training facilities, the best stadium, playing in WCL each season) would have probably found the money better spent upgrading their facilities. Given you have "the best" quality academy, this is clearly an excellent indicator of youth player quality on your team, even if the youth players didn't come directly from the academy.

Ruta

• Legendary Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 06:26:16 PM »
2) The decision to invest millions into youth camps or transfer market players compared with the 1.5 million academy upgrade from okay to good is a massively irrational one.
good point. Totally  agrre. The edge on okey/ good level of aca works good for your tournament, Brian :) . I just said in generall.
  season 18

The Korean Football Club

• All Star Team
    • View Profile
    • The Korean Football Club
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 11:58:21 PM »
Good idea! Support! ;)

Brian Clough

• Legendary Team
  • GKO Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 01:52:03 PM »
We still have room for 2-3 clubs with okay or worse academies. Today is the last day to register for this 2nd group. If you are interested, please sign up ASAP.
http://forum.gokickoff.com/index.php?topic=15389